I find myself having to make similar choices quite often in my own
Clojure code - do I create perhaps a map of things that represent some
kind of 'state' and pass that around to each function that needs it,
or do I do what has been done above and create some vars in a ns where
most (all?) the functions that use this data live.

I think either can be the right choice in different circumstances. For
example, I always store configuration data in a var that has a few
functions using it rather than passing a config map to every function
in the application that needs access to it. I just use those functions
throughout the codebase instead.

I'm not at all familiar with noir so cannot answer your question
regarding that specifically, but I would say using your own judgement
is a "Clojure best practice" :)