On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:38:31 PM UTC-4, robermann79 wrote:

> I'm pretty sure you have already thought about it and it's me that missed
> your considerations, but why we are not using a wiki-based tool, like
> Wordpress, instead of forking a git branch?

My original goals for CDS were to have it be a sort of organic “sundry
bunch of docs” type of project: less formality than “official”
documentation, but more boundaries than a wiki (i.e., “don’t go editing
other people’s docs with wild abandon”). (I blogged about it at
http://www.unexpected-vortices.com/blog/2012/clojure-docs-and-cds.html ). I
went with md docs at github because:

  * most contributors would probably already be familiar with github,
  * it's easy to write markdown docs,
  * github allows users to click the "edit" button and edit right there in
browser (it takes care of forking and helping you send the pull-request),
  * I wanted there to be an easily viewable "paper trail" of changes, and
  * you can view markdown pages right at github,

Really, that 3rd bullet point is key: since you can just cilck the edit
button and edit right there, contributors don't even need to know anything
about git to contribute. They just need to have an account at github. It
becomes basically the same as editing a wiki. :)

Once Michael and others joined in, the goals changed just a bit. Now, CDS
is more aimed at being high-quality technical docs with little duplication
which are suitable for display at some future doc.clojure.org site area.
But keeping a collection of markdown docs at github is still currently the
best way to accomplish this, I think.

---John