On Dec 12, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Andy Fingerhut wrote:

> Have you tried running your real application in a single thread in a JVM, and
> then run multiple JVMs in parallel, to see if there is any speedup?  If so,
> that would again help determine whether it is multiple threads in a single
> JVM causing the slowdown, or something to do with the hardware or OS that is
> the limiting factor.

I don't think we've tried this exact test but we will now. Because we haven't
yet engineered all of the randomness out of the application we'll do a bunch of
runs in each condition and average the times. Based on recent tests I think
this will give reasonably stable results if we do 10 runs or so in each
condition. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!

 -Lee