On Dec 14, 2012, at 10:41 PM, cameron wrote:
> Until Lee has a representative benchmark for his application it's difficult
> to tell if he's
> experiencing the same problem but there would seem to be a case for changing
> the PersistentList
> implementation in clojure.lang.

We put together a version of our application in which we just replaced all of
the random calls with deterministic functions (returning either constants or
deterministic functions of their arguments).

What we saw was a maximum speedup of less than x2 on a 48 core machine, which
was interesting in part because the determinism meant that only a tiny subset
of our code was being executed (because all of the Push programs in the
population were identical and used only a single Push instruction). So I think
that this may indeed help us to hone in on the problem.

Before we share that code, however, we should make sure that the evaluations
that are being done concurrently are sufficiently long-running, and maybe tweak
a couple of other things. I think we'll have a chance to do that early in the
week and we'll share the results/code when we do.

Thanks,

 -Lee