"Wm. Josiah Erikson" <wmjos...@gmail.com> writes:

> I hope this helps people get to the bottom of things.

Not to the bottom of things yet, but found some low-hanging fruit –
switching the `push-state` from a struct-map to a record gives a flat
~2x speedup in all configurations I tested.  So, that’s good?

I have however eliminated to my satisfaction the possibility that this
is something orthogonal to your system.  I do see some speedup
improvements when I lower the level of concurrency to the number of
actual physical cores on my system, but each call to the
`error-function` still takes ~10x as long to complete when run in
parallel vs in serial.

For a while I had some hope that atom-access in the main interpreter
loop was the problem, due to causing extraneous fetches to main memory.
But removing all the atoms from the system didn’t have any appreciable
impact.

Anyway, still poking at it.

-Marshall