Stu:

Note that Clojure 1.4.0 can be built without Maven, and with no connection to
the Internet, by using the command "ant" (which runs the tests) or "ant jar"
(which does not run the tests).

With Clojure 1.5.0, the same is true for "ant jar", but "ant" no longer works
unless you first run ./antsetup.sh, which requires Maven and pulls in the
test.generative dependency, among others, if they are not already available in
the local Maven repo in ~/.m2

So there is something different here with Clojure 1.5.0 since the previous
release.  I'm not suggesting changing anything for 1.5.0, but the above is
likely the reason that Jochen and others didn't come across this issue before
now.

Andy