On Friday, January 25, 2013 6:27:48 AM UTC+11, Michael Klishin wrote:
[..]

> Because poor error messages primarily trip newcomers to the language,
> I am a bit surprised to see this issue discussed on the closed
> mailing list said beginners cannot join [quickly or at all].
>
> So, if you have something specific to say on the topic, say it here.

As a Clojure beginner with no Java experience, I find the error messages to
often
be very Java-centric, usually needing my best-guess interpretation into the
Clojure in front of me (nil and NullPointer being the only specific I can
recall right now).
I'll collect any more I come across, especially since I'm sure I can
generate weirder,
"why would you even type that?" code than people who have already learned
Clojure.
It looks like the Java-ness was touched on in the clojure-dev discussion
also.

When Perl, after 15 or so years, finally included the variable name in
"uninitialized"
warnings it was truly a blessed day.  Perl also has a "use diagnositics"
pragma that
nicely decrypts and decorates error messages:
  perl -Mdiagnostics -Mstrict -E 'my $x; print $x'
This opt-in feature is newbie-friendly without burdening more experienced
users.

Brad