Macros should be avoided if you don't need them.  Otherwise they
drastically reduce code readability.  In this case you just have some
predicates and maps that need to be combined conditionally, so nothing
macros do is needed.  The real question here is why you would need a macro?
 Macros usage is, to me, a question of need, meaning I need to convince
myself that you need it or I wouldn't sacrifice code readability for it.

Things macros are good for:

   - delayed code evaluation
   - DSL creation
   - moving computation to compile time (comes up occasionally)
   - other metaprogramming, which I usually only consider worth it if it
   reduces duplication enough

Alex