Maybe I spoke too soon. I have now stepped into the Twilight Zone. Changes
I make to files do not get built when a try to run lein.

Just to get some kind of reaction from Leinengen I just put random garbage
in the ns clause of my core.clj:

(ns lkjlkljlkjlkj  mpdv.core
  (:gen-class)
  (:import
   (java.net URL URLConnection)
   (java.io ByteArrayInputStream BufferedReader IOException InputStream
InputStreamReader OutputStreamWriter UnsupportedEncodingException)
   (java.text SimpleDateFormat)
   (java.util Date)
   (java.security MessageDigest)
   (org.apache.commons.mail SimpleEmail HtmlEmail)
   (org.joda.time.format DateTimeFormat ISODateTimeFormat)
   (Base64Coder)
   (lkjlkjlkjoiuoiu))

This should have caused an error, but instead, when I did "lein uberjar"
everything compiled -- but compiled without any of the changes I've made
during the last 30 minutes.

In the terminal, from the same terminal that I run "lein uberjar" I can
run:

cat src/mpdv/core.clj

and I see my changes, including the random garbage that I just wrote, but
somehow, if I then type "lein uberjar" lein does not see it.

I do not know if this issue is related, but following the advice about
polygots, given here:

https://github.com/technomancy/leiningen/blob/stable/doc/MIXED_PROJECTS.md

I added this to my project.clj file:

  :source-paths      ["src/mpdv"]
  :java-source-paths ["src/java"]

Did I do something wrong here?

Why is Leinengen still compiling, even though the source code is full of
garbage?