On Feb 21, 2013, at 09:34, Zack Maril wrote:
> codeq looks fantastic and I've looked into using it before.  The project
> seems to
> have undergone a flurry of activity last October/November and then nothing has
> really happened with it since then.

Work continues, but getting from Rich Hickey's blog and demo code to a
production
system (or even a splashy demo :-) is going to take some Real Work (TM).

I know that a few folks (at least) are playing with ideas and code, but I don't
know of any coordinated project.  (I would love to pull together such an effort;
if folks are interested, please get in touch!)

Meanwhile, here are some other excuses for the lack of visible progress:

  *  Although Rich has given a couple of talks on Codeq, no videos are online.
     So, the "official" exposure is mostly limited to a blog entry and a demo.

  *  Moving Codeq from a proof of concept demo to a production app is not a
small
     project.  So, some possible contributors may have been scared off.

  *  The codeq mailing list has a configuration problem which keeps new
submissions
     from being accepted.  So, some folks may have been unable to participate.

  *  I imagine that Rich has had more pressing issues to deal with (:-).

  *  I've been thinking and writing quite a bit about Codeq, but I haven't had
the
     clues, time, and tuits to create a compelling demo for a mass audience.

> Which worries me, since if it were so powerful, somebody would have easily
> done
> something neat with it by now and talked about it.

I actually found Rich's demo to be quite compelling, demonstrating major
advances
over the state of the art in production documentation generators.  Specifically:

  *  The use of a database for storage of harvested data allows arbitrary
queries
     to be made about the code base, encourages post-processing and analysis,
etc.

  *  The use of Datomic allows queries to consider the code base's state over
time.

  *  The use of data from multiple sources (specifically, analyzers and Git
metadata)
     breaks with the typical "data silo" approach to documentation generators.
I'm
     VERY interested in the possibility of adding other data sources.

  *  The concept of a "code quantum" is both novel (AFAIK) and useful (IMNSHO).
 It
     allows queries to be made about semantically interesting chunks of code,
rather
     than files, sets of lines, etc.

So, despite the fact that the demo uses an extremely limited Clojure analyzer,
it
can report on:

  *  codeqs (eg, functions) that have had a lot of churn

  *  codeqs that were modified during a specified period

> I haven't seen anybody actually do anything impressive with it, so I decided
> to write
> Bumi instead.

I'm pretty agnostic about implementation specifics, but I'd hate to see Rich's
design
decisions (and their benefits) go away.

FWIW, most of my Codeq-related thoughts are written up (or linked from) these
pages:

  http://wiki.cfcl.com/bin/view/Projects/Codeq/SS
  http://wiki.cfcl.com/bin/view/Projects/Codeq/WebHome

-r

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     r...@cfcl.com

Software system design, development, and documentation