Here's a little project I worked on:

https://github.com/Greg-R/incanterchartcustom

I'm just now learning git, so I hope the files are intact in the
repository.  I cloned to another machine and they appear to be OK.

The Incanter chart PDF document shows what is possible with regard to
documenting code and showing a nice export result.
The repository also includes the source .org file.  In theory, if you have
everything set up correctly you can reproduce the
PDF document exactly.  Since it is generating PDF charts, there are lots of
side-effects and whatever directory you are running
in will get filled up with the chart files.  I used LaTeX snippets within
the org file to include the chart graphics in the exported tex
file and thus the eventual PDF.

I don't use C-c C-e p.  This doesn't always work, and I prefer C-c C-e l
which exports the .tex file only.  I open the .tex file with
the Texworks application which has worked really well for me for editing
LaTeX documents.  Texworks has the ability to jump between
the PDF and the .tex file and vice-versa, which makes troubleshooting much
easier.

I did a bunch of data processing for work using org, Clojure, and Incanter
to produce reports in PDF.  I created several Leiningen projects
to attack various aspects of the data manipulation.  Then within Clojure
code blocks in org, the various namespaces are used to process
data at the appropriate points in the document.  None of the output was
inserted directly into the org file.  That turned out to be impractical
as some of the generated documents were hundreds of pages long.  The
Clojure/Incanter code chunks generated .tex files which were included
in the exported output via LaTeX code blocks.  Really in this case the
org-babel system operated more as a document/code organizer than
as a programming system.  But what an organizer it is!!!  I saved hundreds,
maybe thousands of man hours of manual document generating.

There were several technologies to learn to get it all to work in harmony:

Clojure
Incanter
Emacs (24.2) (including some Elisp in the .emacs file)
org
babel
Leiningen
LaTeX
Texworks
nrepl (this will require some extra stuff in the .emacs file to get babel
to work)

It took a lot of work, but I think the org-babel system is really worth it!

Regards,
Greg