My 2 cents:

it´s ture that the Emacs features are not discoverable and that the
learning curve is mean.

But it also true that once you´ve done it, it brings you a great value.

My suggestions about Emacs:

1) Start with the footage by Peepcode. It´ll save you tons of time,
especially if you´re not accustomed to reading the f... manuals and prefer
to see people do stuff while explaining them to you as if you were seated
side by side. The Emacs docs are daunting, in my experience

2) progress towards Overtone-Live https://github.com/overtone/emacs-live .
It´s a selection of packages and configurations for Clojure, and it´s
awesome. With that you have a REPL inside Emacs and you can even evaluate
Clojure expressioons from inside your buffer, you have autocompletion. M-.
brings you to the code of the function at point (probably not of the record
or macro at poin) at M-, brings back where you started from. Also the
paredits combo to nest a sexp into another or to bring it out are really
cool. There´s also a thing to search stuff and it makes the screen
translucid with some characters colored in red and it you press the keys
correpsonding to those chars it... does something I didn´t have time to try
it ;-)

3) Consider that in the 24.x version there´s the "package managent" stuff.
A combination of el-get and the ELPA based stuff can get you a long way. I
managed to install a hairy setup for the autocompletion in python. My
feeling is that this gives you a somewhat bigger control on your Emacs
configuration.

4) consider that in order to reach a satisfying level, you don´t need to
have it perfectly and completely set up. There are professionals who only
use clojure mode and they keep a terminal with a repl aside and they switch
back and forth and copy and paste expressions from te buffer to the repl in
order to explore what they´re doing. That´s a perfectly acceptabe set up

5) it´s true that the debugging situation is less than ideal. I didn´t try
the machinery for clojure debugging because it´s not supported in Live and
I didn´t have time to install it myself, but when the need to debug
something arised, I copied subexpressions of my expressions and see the
results to try to isolate the sections generating problems. I concede it´s
not ideal but it´s reasonable in clojure and it probably wouldn´t be in an
imperative language. I keep the intention to stabilize the configuraion for
a better debugging too.

6) A wildly weird suggestion: consider meeting with Emacs users with more
experience and do stuff together. It´s not unreasonable as it sounds.
There´s value in that. In my opinion, of course.

7) last but not least, in ripping my arguments to shreds, please consider
that if you feel my opinions are gonna ruin some honest beginner, I could
feel the same about yours. Our opinions are relative to the single
individuals and to gazillions of other things. Also, here´s a human being
on the other side of the wire and although I have learned not to contribute
to the heat of the polemics, it still takes me some effort to keep calm, as
I don´t always have time to stay on track with my meditation practice.
OOhhhmmmmm ;-)