On Jun 5, 2013, at 23:55, Zed Becker wrote:
> Why do the languages running on the CLR (ironRuby, ironPython,
> ironScheme, ScalaCLR) not get to live long enough in the sunshine,
> whereas same languages get embraced by the Java runtime, and live
> in the limelight?

I have a theory for your consideration.  Consider the case of (say)
MacRuby, which was sponsored by Apple for several years.  It had a
great deal of good work done on it, mostly by Laurent Sansonetti.
However, despite earnest pleas by Laurent's manager, Jordan Hubbard,
only a few folks in the user community jumped in to lend a hand.

Basically, I think it's very hard for a company to jumpstart an open
source development effort, particularly if the company is seen as
being large, wealthy, etc.  Too bad, really...

-r

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     r...@cfcl.com

Software system design, development, and documentation