On 18 June 2013 14:38, Softaddicts <lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca> wrote:

> I use destructuring most of the time, the main benefits I see are runtime
> validation
> of typo errors in the option names, better doc strings and the ability to
> provide defaults
> where nil does not make any sense.

You can use destructuring on rolled up option maps as well.

> Of course you may need to use apply to pass options in turn to another fn
> but I found out that this happens most of the time internally, not in the
> public API.

I find myself constructing option maps quite often, but then I use a few
libraries heavy on options, like clj-http, which benefit from merging
option maps.

> If the apply stuff gets repeatedly in the way, then use a macro to hide it.

It seems a fair bit of work to avoid a pair of brackets.

If you need a macro or function to work around an issue created by some
optional syntax sugar, I'd question whether that syntax sugar is worth it.

- James