On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Phil Hagelberg <p...@hagelb.org> wrote:
> I recall issues around the certificate GitHub used, but I'm not aware of any
> troubles that have been reported with the Amazon certificates. We switched
> to Amazon when GitHub turned off its upload functionality at the end of
> 2012, so everything from 2.0.0 onward has been on Amazon. Did the problems
> you're describing happen after the move?

I can't be certain, sorry. It did happen on my Win8 tablet but that
just means it happened something between mid-December 2012 and now, so
I don't know whether I caught the end of the Github issues there and
they just looked the same. Since Windows doesn't come with curl/wget
by default - and I'm using GOW (Gnu on Windows) rather than the
heavier Cygwin - the error message fallback isn't entirely helpful for
Windows users *smile*

> One simple thing that might help would be to include the URL and target
> location on disk in the error message so people can download by hand. The
> error message already includes instructions for how to disable certificate
> checking though, so I don't think a fallback location would help much.

See above. Those instructions assume curl or wget and a general UNIX-y
mindset...
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."