Hi everyone,
I'm about to start working on building a site for a startup company.

We are a small team, and currently they've been coding the site using RoR (Ruby
on Rails). I was thinking Clojure might be better suited for the task,
specially because we'll need to implement a backend which is robust, scalable
and secure, but also we'll need flexibility, which I think the RoR framework
won't shine at all.

At our team, we are two coders, non of us are proficient in Web Developing, and
we have little experience with RoR, and I thought (I'm sure) maybe investing
time learning Clojure will provide us with better tools.

PROBLEM/QUESTION

While searching for alternative solutions, I stumbled upon the Flightcaster
case, we're they are using RoR to implement the site's frontend and Clojure for
the system backend. I thought this was a very elegant solution, using each tool
for what it's good at. Plus this way we can reuse what they've already
implemented.

I found a way to do this is by using Torquebox and Immutant, and using the
messaging systems to communicate between Jruby and Clojure. Still I have no
idea of how this works, and the performance and security implications it brings
to the table. I found little information on the subject.

I would appreciate if anyone could provide guidance, examples or documentation
on the subject.

Any reference to open source projects which use this hybrid language solutions
on the JVM would be great to have.

Is this the best way to solve the RoR interactions? Is there any other way?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Rodrigo