I have been looking at a problem from several angles. It's an important
problem to solve in any language but seems to be very vexing in Clojure.
Perhaps someone has had significant experience with it.

I have data that can be used to build a tree structure. I know the unique
things that will be in it and I can make an index of them. The tree itself
will use these data points like a sort of alphabet. What I want to be able
to do is to create the tree by scanning each transaction in the data and
adding to the tree, while updating the index of unique items with a way of
accessing their first occurrence. Each node in the tree will have access to
the next occurrence or nil if there aren't any more. When I search the tree
I want to go to the index, find the item I am interested in, go to it's
first occurrence, read all the nodes to the root, go to the next occurrence
and do the same, and so forth until I hit nil. Counts are kept on each item
so if a sequence is seen again the tree is simply updated until the
sequence diverges in which case it forms a new branch.

I looked at Zippers and it won't work the way I want. It's also terribly
inefficient if you don't start with a tree structure prebuilt. If it was
1989 I would just do this in C, with pointers and be done pretty quickly. I
am thinking there is a more Lispy way of doing this but I haven't broken my
thinking away from my old ways enough to see it.

*Peter Mancini*
Data Scientist
toll free: 855.448.0708

--