FWIW I observed the same thing profiling 1.5.1 with Yourkit a couple months
ago and tried adding caching to the Clojure compiler, but I wasn't able to
get any speedup.  It wasn't clear to me if I messed something up, or if the
profiler was just lying about where the execution time was actually going.