Lee Spector <lspec...@hampshire.edu> writes:
> I teach Clojure, to beginning programmers among others.
>
> IMHO you really have to specify your audience(s) before any advice about how
> best to teach Clojure (or programming in general) will make much sense.

I'd absolutely agree with this. If you are teaching brand new
programmers, then you really don't want to teach clojure at all; you
want to teach programming, with the language being somewhat of a detail.

You also need to know *why* you are teaching them. I teach differently
if I am teaching new programmers hoping to gain a general understanding
of computer science, than new programmers who have an immediate
practical need.

> Also IMHO (just trying to deflect some flames here) the Clojure
> ecosystem currently lacks the ideal environment for this.

Tend to agree with this also. As nice as leiningen is, Clojure seems to
inherit from Java bulky projects. Compare these two hello worlds:

(println "hello world")

#!/usr/bin/python
print( "hello world" )

Both equivalently simple, up and till the point you actually try to run
them. The best I came up with is...

java -jar ~/.m2/repository/org/clojure/clojure/1.5.1/clojure-1.5.1.jar
hello_world.clj

which, of course, depends on me having installed leiningen and used it.

> So this may be totally wrong for many of your purposes, but FWIW:
> https://github.com/lspector/clojinc

That's a nice idea.

Phil