On Oct 8, 2013, at 8:47 AM, Jernau wrote:

> Hi Phil,

It was I (Lee) who posted those reactions, but hi and thanks!

> 1. Select the text you want auto-indented and press SHIFT+TAB.

Nice. Is this (re)discoverable somehow from the interface?

> 2. The documentation tab opens in a new tabset - to close tabsets you
> right-click on them and choose 'Close tabset'.

Okay. Now that I see it. I guess I should right-click on things more to
discover stuff in the future.

> 3. I haven't discovered a way to disable auto-brackets.

Unfortunate. I realize I may be unusual in this respect, but this will probably
keep me from using it in any serious way.

> 4. Yes, you can access it from the command pane, or you can add a key-binding
> in your user.keymap. I have mine set to "CMD+;" with "pmeta-;"
> [:toggle-comment-selection].

Ah. I see, and while it didn't work with the commenting style I was using I
think it's fine. I haven't done the key binding yet but I think I see how to do
that.

> 5. Won't you need to copy+paste from the console anyway? Why not just grab
> the part without the filename?

Yes, but I will typically generate outputs from many separate calls to println.
I'll want to grab all and only what I asked to have printed, and the only way
to do that now will come along with a filename on every line, which I'll then
have to remove in post processing. Not impossible but a pain and I don't see
why it helps to clutter up the output like that. In general, if you're running
your code to produce console output then you probably want the output that you
asked to be printed, without extra stuff.

> 6. Currently you make projects externally (using Leiningen) and then import
> them into Light Table.

I think that's fine, but it could be more obvious that this is what you have to
do. You can make files without projects, which is a little odd in the first
place, but not projects...

> 7. This is one downside to having an IDE that's written in Clojure.

Maybe it's unavoidable, but I would have thought that one JVM instance could be
running the IDE and another the user's code, with different versions of Clojure
if necessary. But maybe that's more complicated than I would have thought.

> 8. You can hide evaluations using the command pane and "Eval: Clear inline
> results", or you can add a key-binding in your user.keymap. I have mine set
> to "CMD+SHIFT+BACKSPACE" "pmeta-shift-backspace" [:clear-inline-results]

Seems reasonable. Again, I wonder if this could be more easily discoverable (a
"go away X" next to the result?), but I see that it's workable.

> 9. I don't think Light Table has this feature yet.

Understood. FWIW, this is another pretty important one for me and my students.
I never remember argument list order, etc., and I've long relied on Lisp
environments unobtrusively reminding me of them as I type.

> It's worth noting that Light Table is still in the early stages of
> development, so it doesn't have all of the features of more mature IDEs.
> However, Chris is going to add plugin support in the next major release,
> which will remove him as the bottleneck for adding exactly the kind of
> features you're looking for.
>
> I think it's a very exciting time for Light Table.

Sounds great. I appreciate that it's early days. I'm just providing this
feedback in case it helps. And FYI, in light of the clarifications in your
reply, I'd be quite likely to switch my teaching and research to LightTable
if/when #3, #5, and #9 are addressed (ability to turn off auto-brackets, get
unadorned console output, and some form of dynamic arglist info).

Thanks so much,

 -Lee