Yup, it's true. I suffer from this as well. When I'm compiling Cursive
normal compilation fails because a bunch of the IntelliJ classes assume the
IntelliJ platform is running and barf if it's not. I have an awful hack
which is to run the compilation within their test framework which sets up a
mock platform, but it's really ugly. I'd appreciate a clever workaround to
this too. The other thing I've considered is to create a set of API classes
to compile against which would be the standard classes with the static
initialisers stripped out with ASM or something. In fact you could strip
out everything but the signatures.

On 12 October 2013 21:17, Wujek Srujek <wujek.sru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So you are saying compilation is trying to instantiate class and run
> static initializers? This seems very backward, are you sure?
>

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Zach Oakes <zsoa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I should add, I am aware I can bring in a class dynamically with
>> Class/forName, and that is what I ended up doing for the Timer class.
>> However, this is not always practical, and sometimes is simply not an
>> option if aot-compilation is required.
>>

>> On Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:28:38 AM UTC-4, Zach Oakes wrote:
>>>
>>> I recently learned that merely importing a Java class in Clojure causes
>>> static initializers to be run. Sometimes, this causes compilation errors,
>>> because they are written with the assumption that they will only be run
>>> during runtime.
>>>
>>> I ran into this just now while trying to make a simple Clojure game with
>>> LibGDX. After simply importing its Timer class, I began getting compilation
>>> errors. The stack trace shows it is due to a static