Optimizing too much for readability, can't be well worth doing, I think. It's a contradiction in terms. Watching out for changes that make the code shorter instead of more readable seems like useful advice and maybe a sign that I am "optimizing" too much. I'm pretty sure I could figure out a way to waste time making something insignificantly more readable.

I don't have much of a problem with the abstract idea that good is better than bad. I have a problem with degrees of goodness. I doubt that there is a formula to guard against that, but advice like comparing readability vs.l terseness is what I was looking for.

Kendall