I believe the locals are actually *not* available because they are
proactively cleared to help GC.

Setting the *compiler-options* var with :disable-locals-clearing can turn
that off. Which is probably what you often want in dev, but is not the
default.  You can also set this via command line with
-Dclojure.compile.disable-locals-clearing=true