On 14 November 2013 16:22, Brian Craft <craft.br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't believe the legos analogy is very accurate for clojure. Or,
> rather, it's more of a vision than a reality. I'm unaware of any libraries
> in clojure that you can piece together to give you the features of
> django-south, django admin, and the forms/validation/db layers, for
> example.  Today, clojure web libraries are more like an auto parts store:
> your chance of putting together a complete car from the inventory is slim
> indeed, and your chance of doing it in a timely fashion is exactly zero.

Except people *are* developing web applications in Clojure, so clearly this
isn't an accurate statement.

I certainly wouldn't be using Clojure for the web if it took longer to
develop in. It's my opinion that every non-trivial web application I've
ever written in Rails would have been faster to write in Clojure.

Also, the overwhelming majority of db and web work is boilerplate. That's
> what django provides: all the mindless boilerplate that is completely
> uninteresting to your problem domain, but necessary to launch a web site.

This certainly hasn't been my experience.

Can you be certain this isn't a symptom of the tool you're using?
Frameworks like Django and Rails are designed to build web applications in
a very specific way, and this involves generating a lot of database and
HTML boilerplate.

I can't say for sure whether it's because of Clojure, or because I'm
working on different problems these days, but I don't tend to deal with the
same issues I did when I used Rails. Nowadays I find myself building
systems out of small, isolated components, which seem to eliminate a lot of
issues Rails was designed to work around.

For instance, database migrations. This was something I thought about a lot
a few years ago, until I gradually realised that I wasn't finding myself in
any situations where I needed them.

- James