Hi Paul! Thanks for chiming in.

I set out to create a suite of middlewares for frontend optimization. The
first was Catenate, which concerned itself with concatenation into bundles.
So I certainly agree with your points. You'd be hard pressed to think
otherwise in the Clojure community, I think, with its focus on
"decomplecting". The reason I gave up on that idea is two-fold:

- The different optimizations are not orthogonal.
- Assets aren't first class in the Ring middleware stack.

Some examples:

- When you bundle files together, your HTML has to reference either the
bundle URL (in prod) or all the individual files (in dev). There has to be
some sort of lookup from the bundle ID to a list of URLs, and this is
dependent on your asset-serving strategy.

- When you add cache-busters to URLs, you need some sort of lookup from the
original URL to the cache-busted URL, so you can link to them with a known
name.

In other words, both the bundle middleware and the cache-busting middleware
either needs to own the list of assets, or it needs to rest on a first
class asset concept in the stack.

Now add the ability to serve WebP images to browsers that support it. Not
only do you have to change the image URLs, but you also have to serve a
different set of CSS to use these new images. So this middleware would have
to know which CSS files reference which files, and rewrite them.

All of these could be fixed with a well-thought out Asset concept in the
ring middleware stack. Which is what Optimus is an attempt at. It adds a
list of assets to the request, with enough information for the linking
functions to figure out which versions of which files to link.

But then there's the orthogonality:

   - You can't add cache-busters first, and then bundle assets together,
   since you wouldn't get cache buster URLs on your bundles.
   - If you minify first, then bundle, you'll get suboptimal minification
   results in production. If you bundle first, then minify, you won't know
   which file is to blame for errors in development.
   - You should never add far-future expires headers unless the asset has a
   cache-buster URL.

So ordering matters. You can't just throw in another middleware, you have
to order it just so-and-so. I started writing documentation for this in
Catenate. It would say "If you're also using cache-busting middleware, make
sure to place it after Catenate." After writing a few of those sentences, I
came to the conclusion that they were not entirely separate things. Since
they're so dependent on each other, they should live together.

There's also the case of *when* to optimize. In production you want to
optimize once - either as a build step, or when starting the application.
In development you don't want any optimization (unless you're debugging),
but you still need to create the list of assets so you're able to link to
it. This is something all the optimization middlewares would have to tackle
on their own - basically each layer freezing their optimized assets on
server start, and all but the last one doing so in vain.

Optimus solves this by creating a separate middleware stack for
optimizations, that work on assets (not requests), and that can be done at
different times by different asset-serving strategies.

So, in conclusion: If we can agree on a data format for assets - the one in
Optimus has been through quite a few iterations
(https://github.com/magnars/optimus#what-are-these-assets-anyway-they-seem-magical-to-me)

- then we could build on that to create separate middlewares. But not
middlewares for the Ring stack. It would have to be Asset-specific
middlewares.

For instance, even tho Optimus doesn't do transpiling, building a
transpiler to fit in the Optimus asset middleware stack is pretty nice. You
let :original-url be the original "styles.less", so the linking features
can find it, replace the :contents with CSS, and serve it under the :path
"styles.css". If your package takes a list of assets, and returns a list of
assets with all .less files changed like this, you can plug it in with no
modifications to Optimus.

- Magnar