Hi Andrew,
just remember that cljs-start is for pure CLJS project only.

Few weeks ago I started working on a similar lein template for mixed CLJ/CLJS
projects which have different requirement. then I stopped because of work
overload on other projects.

On the mixed cli/cljs path the luminoso-template took an interesting approach

https://github.com/magomimmo/luminus-template

In my mind I think about something like a pair composed by of a lein template
and a lein plugin.

The template should serve to create new mixed clj/cljs projects and the plugin
should serve to easily manage the project itself.

I would be even better to absorb the awesome  stuff my Stuart Sierra and jig,
then absorb stuff regarding continuos development, integration and deployment
to try to minimize any incidental complexities caused by the used tools.

A kind of reference sample could http://yeoman.io/

But we should do it better :-)

I final note. Apparently I'm  the only one using profiles.clj file local to the
project. When I'm alone I'm alway worried to be on the wrong path. I still
think that the profiles.clj local to the project is at the moment the best way
to keep separated the complexity of the developer view of the project from the
user view of the project. Hope not to be wrong in this approach.

Any comment about this is very welcome

mimmo