On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 11:17:07 AM UTC-5, tbc++ wrote:

> And even clojure-py is miles behind stock python.
>
> One of the problems with Clojure as it stands now is that there is just
> way too much init work that has to be done on every startup. Just as a
> comparison, let's compare how python code and clojure code is loaded:
>

> {snip}
>
> What makes this worse is that parts of Clojure may not be properly
> profiled by the JIT. In one benchmark I ran I saw a 2x speed-up loading
> files after the compiler was properly warmed up.
>
> What we see here is the difference between a VM designed for a language,
> and one designed for a different language. In Python constants are just
> dumped to/from disk during compilation and loading. In Clojure these
> constants have to be recreated each time.
>

> {snip}
>
> Anyway, that's my personal take on the subject. It's a trade-off. The JVM
> is nice, but it's dang hard to get fast startup times with it.
>
> Timothy

It sounds to me that you're saying there's much less legwork for the VM to
do when it's written expressly for a single given language.

I don't have a comp sci background, so please excuse my ignorance here, but
Clojure seems like a pretty simple language, as languages go. How much work
would be involved in hacking together a completely un-optimized custom VM
for Clojure --- just for a useful subset of the Clojure language? Say, for
argument's sake, you were willing to temporarily forego having a JIT and
multithreading.

-- John