Hello back!

We are using Clojure on the JVM as the implementation language for a
platform that will underpin our applications for the next decade.  It is
relatively new and so far we have implemented the analysis module which is
essentially a generic charting engine.

So far we have 5547 lines of production code (including comments) and 2600
lines of production code (including comments).

That doesn't sound like much but I can tell you it is replacing a similar,
but slightly smaller in scope analysis module written in Java which was
around 40K lines of production code.

Our architecture is Clojure on the back end exporting a number of JSON end
points.  It is backed by MS SQL using the fantastic
https://github.com/jkk/honeysql library.

For me, it is a dream coming from Java (and to a much lesser extent Scala),
but it does have its costs.  Moving from an OO world to an FP world isn't
easy, particularly in the shapes your solutions end up with.  I am also
feeling the pain of not having types - everything is a sequence.  This is a
joy but it also means a whole bunch of information (i.e. type information)
is lost.

One of the wins in OO languages is the many number of places to hang
semantic information - the name of the class, the structure of the class,
the names of the methods etc.  I also find many more intermediary variables
in OO where as in Clojure it seems more idiomatic to have pipelines of
transformation.  I am feeling the lost of static types as I refactor APIs
particularly.

This is undoubtedly my failing not Clojure's and I just need to absorb more
good FP paradigms.  Would I give up my emacs and Clojure and paredit
combination?  Not a chance :).

Col