Hi Anthony,

I'm building a fairly large real-world system called Clortex [1], which is
a rewrite of the Numenta Platform for Intelligent Computing (NuPIC) [2]. As
it's a greenfield project, I've chosen to use Clojure components all the
way through instead of fitting in with Java-based or .Net-based frameworks.
There are good reasons why you should do this if you can, but obviously
that doesn't help you directly with your question.

There are many people introducing Clojure as a component in an existing
ecosystem, as Colin explains, but usually this is done deep inside a big
Java or .Net shop, and they're not showing the world the code. One possible
route would be to see if any of the big Java or CLR Open Source apps are
looking at doing some subsystems in Clojure.

Colin,

Great to hear your experiences. I'm no expert, but it's likely that you
could ease much of the pain using protocols, type hints and deftypes or
records. Also, Typed Clojure [3] is definitely worth looking at.

[1] Clortex will be public on Github shortly, see
http://fergalbyrne.github.io for docs, http://inbits.com for blog.
[2] http://numenta.org
[3] https://github.com/clojure/core.typed

Regards,

Fergal Byrne

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Aditya Athalye <aditya.atha...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Welcome, Anthony.
>
> I'm not aware of complete applications that fit your requirement,
> however I think you'll find value in the newly-minted Clojure Cookbook
> http://clojure-cookbook.com/ ... many, many examples of real-world
> problems,
> across domains, solved by Clojure practitioners.
>
> All the examples and solutions are available here:
> https://github.com/clojure-cookbook/clojure-cookbook
>
> Cheers, and once again, welcome!
>

> On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:53:06 AM UTC+5:30, Anthony Ortiz wrote:
>>
>> Hello world!
>>
>> I'm a C# developer who recently went to an interview at a major bank here
>> in NYC and found that they've been using Clojure for their business logic
>> for over a year already and that got me curious, so I find myself on
>> unfamiliar territory learning how to program in a functional language. So
>> far so good, Moxley Stratton's online tutorial combined with Try Clojure
>> (the online interpreter) has been very helpful (kudos to you guys!) and I'm
>> now going through the book 'Programming Clojure'. So far I've seen a lot of
>> utility/academic examples such as fibonacci but little in the way of an
>> actual real-world example of a top-to-bottom desktop application built
>> using Clojure on either the JVM or CLR, something simple that would
>> demonstrate how Clojure fits into the event-driven model on the client-side
>> behind, let's say, WPF, and how it would interact with more Clojure on the
>> service-side via, let's say, WCF. Does anyone know of an example they can
>> direct me to?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Anthony
>>
>  --

Fergal Byrne, Brenter IT

Author, Real Machine Intelligence with Clortex and NuPIC
https://leanpub.com/realsmartmachines

<http://www.examsupport.ie>http://inbits.com - Better Living through
Thoughtful Technology
http://ie.linkedin.com/in/fergbyrne/