Well, == should be =, but more importantly you're mixing up number and
counter.

Step through your code one bit at a time:

1. You set number to 0
2. You set counter to (count coll) - 2
3. If number and counter are not equal...
4. Recur with the next part of the list, and set the counter to (+ number 1)

See how you've got counter and number mixed up?

- James