You're right.
I got confused because in ob-clojure.el, both cider and nrepl.el are
considered back-ends, so I thought they were separate things. So in fact,
nrepl.el is just an old incarnation of Cider? Ob-clojure.el needs a fixing,
I believe.

Oops, I meant
nrepl.el: https://github.com/technomancy/nrepl.el/blob/master/nrepl.el