Yes, I didn't mean to imply that there are no blocking operations anywhere,
only that nothing in the worker threads (where the put! occurs) will block,
and that backpressure isn't exerted by causing an active thread to hang.

As to the second point, I'm not sure why you'd think that.  These aren't
futures that are being accessed via blocking dereference, so there's no
reason any thread would block as a result of an unrealized future/deferred.