Understood- almost all the functions in the zk namespace were intended for
occasional/admin type use so they open/close the ZK connection.

It should be pretty easy to refactor that around so connections are passed
in (allowing you to retain a connection across multiple operations).

I'll see if I can get time today to do it. If not I'd happily take pull
requests :)