You mentionned RedHat Linux centric type corporations. There are a lot more
businesses that are not Linux
centric business wise. They use it but provide something else on top.
Did you even read this article against your own statement ? :)

A huge number of occasional contributors were not reluctant to log a ticket and
submit a patch
instead of ranting about it.

This is the main point you missed. That 'entry barrier' of yours does not stand
with Linux.
I would think hard about the reasons behind these numbers.
There has to be some value added in the process of submitting patches.

Luc P.