Frances,

I have two implementations of INode, record MapNode and record VectorNode,
which are defined in other files.

Also, I get a syntax method when calling new-node without the leading dot
when using defprotocol:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No single method: newNode of interface:
aatree.nodes.INode found for function: newNode of protocol: INode,
compiling:(aatree/nodes.clj:51:7)

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 3:29:38 PM UTC-4, Francis Avila wrote:

> I don't quite understand why you are not calling the Protocol method as a
> function, i.e.
>
> (new-node this t-2 lev l r c)
>
> (no leading dot on new-node).
>
> I also don't see anything which actually *implements* INode.
>
> Note that the meaning of "method" in "Protocol method" is not the same as
> in "Java method": i.e. these are not Java methods called via Java interop,
> although protocol implementations may create java methods on the class that
> implements them in some cases (i.e. inline implementations using deftype or
> defrecord) or a Java class may implement the protocol via the
> auto-generated interface of the same name. You are trying to call the
> "new_node" Java method directly on whatever "this" is in that context,
> which requires reflection on "this" to find the implementation.
>

> On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 1:31:10 PM UTC-5, William la Forge wrote:
>>
>> I'm finally looking at warn on reflection. Everything is going fine
>> except in the nodes.clj file where I define a protocol, INode, with a
>> method, new-node and then try to call that method from a function, revise.
>>
>> I'm using Clojure 1.7.0 and the file is
>> https://github.com/laforge49/aatree/blob/master/src/aatree/nodes.clj
>> The reflection warning occurs on line 51.
>>
>> Depending on what I try, either I get a class not found compiler error
>> for file nodes.cli or a runtime error that new-node is NOT a member of the
>> record that implements INode. I've spent hours on this and have tried many
>> different things to no avail.
>>
>> My reason for using a method in a protocol is that I have several records
>> that implement it and I'm trying to not duplicate functions which take the
>> protocol as an argument.
>>
>> Oh yes, because I'm also using genclass, I have no option but to use AOT.
>>
>> On Sunday, January 12, 2014 at 8:52:14 AM UTC-5, Jim foo.bar wrote:
>>>
>>> there you go:
>>>
>>> (defprotocol IBark
>>>  (bark [this]))
>>>
>>> (in-ns 'other)