"Idiomatic" is always a hard word to define, and I think some of the points
made here are good, but let me also provide a few guidelines I try to abide
by when writing an API:

Start with data, preferably hash maps. At some point your API will be
consumed by someone else's program. Macros make it hard to compose api
calls in a sane matter using code. So stick with hash maps and pure data.
Something like the following:

{:host "foo.bar.com"
 :port 80
 :path "/some/path/i/want"
 :params {:name :value :key :value2}}

Now if it comes time to modify/process/compose this request we can use
normal Clojure functions like assoc/conj to build this request map. Of
course, using this approach normally results in a explosion of data, so
pretty it up with helper functions:

(make-request-map "http://foo.bar.com/some/path/i/want"; {:name :value})

The key here, is that these helper functions should emit the data you
specified in the first step.

And finally, write macros as a last resort to pretty up the user experience
even further. In short:

1) Start with data to allow clojure code to easily access your API
2) Make generating that data simpler by writing helper functions to
generate data
3) (Optionally) Write a DSL to make user interaction easier.

Timothy

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Johan Haleby <johan.hal...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your support and insights. I'm going to rewrite it to use
> "with-open" as we speak.
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Marc Limotte <mslimo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Look at the source for the clojure.core with-open macro.  In the repl:
>> `(source with-open)`.
>>
>> I think Gary is right.  with-open does exactly what you need, I should
>> have thought of that, and you should probably use it.  But if you want to
>> get your version working, trying to understand what the with-open macro is
>> doing.  Your implementation can be simpler because you only have one
>> explicit binding.  Essentially you'll create a let as a backquoted form and
>> then splice in the explicit symbol from the user:
>>

>>    `(let [~sym ...server-instance-or-uri...] ... )
>>

>> marc
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Johan Haleby <johan.hal...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Do you know of any resources of where I can read up on this? I have the
>>> macro working with an implicit "uri" generated but I don't know how to make
>>> it explicit (i.e. defined by the user) the way you proposed.

>>> --
>>> ---
>>> Groups "Clojure" group.
>>> an email to clojure+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
>>>

>> --
>> ---
>> Google Groups "Clojure" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/clojure/gieS5hQCUm4/unsubscribe.
>> clojure+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
programs.”
(Robert Firth)