Not JVM based but I've been wondering about ClojureCLR on top of the new
CoreCLR might be a potential path for native. There's a native compiler in
the works (a brief mention a couple weeks ago in the standup
https://youtu.be/cfxuJsZIK4A?t=1h13m32s).

I have to say with the MIT license, tail call support, native compilation,
and the open development CoreCLR could have a bright future as a host
platform, even though it's not nearly as widely used as the JVM today.