Cannot say without the rest of the code but I what is in (:transformations
resp)? sorted-set doesn't work if one item doesn't compare to another (eg.
numbers vs maps).

Suppose:

(def a (atom #{}))
=> (var user/a)
(reset! a (into (sorted-set) [1 2 2 2 3]))
=> #{1 2 3}
(conj @a {:name "test"})
ClassCastException clojure.lang.PersistentArrayMap cannot be cast to
java.lang.Comparable  clojure.lang.Util.compare (Util.java:153)

Doesn't look like a core.async issue?

HTH,
/thomas