I'm afraid I don't have a straight forward answer to your question.

When I ran into this React error it usually meant I forgot something in my
markup that the browser thought it should fix- the browser changed the DOM and
React didn't know about.

Try looking at the rendered dom in the browser and see if it is different from
what you specified in the component. Something like a wrong nesting of elements
or some element the browser added by itself, etc.

I did a few Material-UI experiements
(https://github.com/tuhlmann/reagent-material) a while ago, maybe something int
the repo can help. In the end I decided to go with Bootstrap 4...

Hope that helps,
Torsten.