I've got a VM (spi-tools-host-1) that I'm not actively using right now.  I
could shut it down to release the CPU resources, but I want to be able to start
it back up again at some point in the future with the same configuration.  On
AWS I would just back up all the storage and shut down the VM.  Is there some
way to do that in this environment?

I suspect the answer may include, "Yo, dummy, you should have used puppet
instead of just installing things manually with apt-get".  If that's the case,
feel free to say that :-)

Or, is the VM so small that it's not worth worrying too much about the
resources it's wasting?