This is really good advice.  Any time you've got a process being run by some
tool on your behalf (cron, initd, remote job execution, etc), you're running in
an alien environment.  You get so used to things "just working" when you run
them interactively, you forget how much of your carefully crafted login
environment you're depending on.  The more you make things totally explicit,
the less chance there is for things to go south in a hard-to-debug way.