Here's the issue.

root@r-197-VM:/etc/init.d# cat /var/cache/cloud/cmdline
 vpccidr=192.168.0.0/16 domain=mlsorensen.com dns1=8.8.8.8 dns2=
template=domP name=r-197-VM eth0ip=169.254.1.16 eth0mask=255.255.0.0
type=vpcrouter disable_rp_filter=true

So per cloud-early-setup, type=vpcrouter, but there's no vpcrouter
function in /opt/cloud/bin/patchsystemvm.sh, which controls which
services start.

So we need a function for vpcrouter in patchsystemvm.sh. Should we
just tell it to run the routing_svcs one, or is more customization
necessary?