On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva <
migu...@ieee.org> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I recently made a commit to update the FindwxWidgets module
> (6bbf2a0e8e983b193e48ad1b227c46cf6ea9a85b)
>
> However, after merging to next and pushing to cmake.git, I realized
> that I had missed a few things. In this case I checked out the commit
> were I left off, applied the changes, and committed again
> (f51eb9cb0c3bc2a38f0c00780f0d8d050d00891f). It looks like this:
>
> ...o----o  master
> .       \
>  .       o----o----o  topic
>   .            \    \
>    ...o----o----o----o *next, origin/next
>
> Is this what should be done in such cases? Is there a way to signal
> the first merge to next as one that should not be merged to master?

I read this about 3 hours ago and laughed out loud thinking, ha that will
never happen to me.

Then I ran into this issue (which isn't quite what Miguel ran into but
similar).  I was trying to push a change to next that conflicts with a
previous change I pushed to next.  I'm not exactly sure how they conflict or
what I should have done in this case.  I tried following the directions to
resolve the conflicts but didn't get anywhere (see below).

How do I fix this without waiting for the original push being merged to
master?  Not that this matters much in this case because I think tomorrow is
merge day, but I could certainly see me wanting to push multiple changes to
learn how to do this properly (think this is what Miguel is asking?)

(FindGTK2_10688 was the original change to next)
(FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf when submitted contained changes in
FindGTK2_10688.  I suspect this is the cause of my problems but reverting my
changes in FindGTK2_10688 seems backwards.  There has to be a better way to
do it)

phi...@locke /cygdrive/c/Users/Philip/git/CMake
$ ssh g...@cmake.org stage cmake merge -b next FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf
Fetching upstream next
Merge topic 'FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf' into next

500e630 Merge patch for detecting gdk-pixbuf library (due to GTK 2.21
change)

Auto-merging Modules/FindGTK2.cmake
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Modules/FindGTK2.cmake

Topic 'FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf' does not merge cleanly into next.
Merge manually using commands such as the following:

  git fetch "git://cmake.org/stage/cmake.git" "FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf"
  git branch "FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf" 500e630
  git checkout next
  git pull origin next
  git merge "FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf"

Resolve the conflicts manually.  Then:

  git commit
  git push origin next
phi...@locke /cygdrive/c/Users/Philip/git/CMake
$ git fetch "git://cmake.org/stage/cmake.git" "FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf"
>From git://cmake.org/stage/cmake
 * branch            FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf -> FETCH_HEAD

phi...@locke /cygdrive/c/Users/Philip/git/CMake
$ git branch "FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf" 500e630
fatal: A branch named 'FindGTK2_11186_gdk_pixbuf' already exists.

--
Philip Lowman