On 1/12/2012 5:47 PM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
But I'm not going to add support for things older than 0.9.6, this
stuff is ancient.

Okay, thanks.

Also, the examples given in the header are confusing because they
leave out the patch level from the string.  I think the patch level
can be included as a fourth component in our OPENSSL_VERSION var.

Hm?
  * 0.9.3a         0x0090301f
  * 0.9.4          0x0090400f
  * 1.2.3z         0x102031af

The format is specified as

  MNNFFPPS

where

  M  = Major   NN = Minor   FF = Fix  PP = Patch  S  = Status

The example 0x0090301f matches up to that as

  M  = 0   NN = 09  FF = 03  PP = 01  S  = f

which should be

  0.9.3.1f

The example with "z" in it makes no sense at all given the explanation
right above it:

 * The status nibble has one of the values 0 for development, 1 to e for betas
 * 1 to 14, and f for release.  The patch level is exactly that.

The explanation you give in your new commit on the topic is more coherent.
Where did you get it that information?