OK, so ninja does not seem to work on windows for me...

I got ninja from here:

 git://github.com/martine/ninja.git
branch master

I got cmake from here:
  remotes/stage/ninja-generator

I removed the if(UNIX) in the cmake tree and built cmake with ninja support.

I have tried with both spaces in the path and without, and the first compiler test fails with these errors:

$ less CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log
Determining if the C compiler works failed with the following output:
Change Dir: C:/Users/hoffman/Work/Projects/cmake-ninja/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:C:/Users/hoffman/Work/Projects/ninja/ninja.exe cmTryCompileExec [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj^M FAILED: "C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe" /nologo /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /Zm1000 /D_DEBUG /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /GZ /FoCMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj /FdTARGET_PDB -c testCCompiler.c^M cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'GZ' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release^M^M
cl : Command line warning D9036 : use 'RTC1' instead of 'GZ'^M^M
testCCompiler.c^M^M
C:\Users\hoffman\Work\Projects\cmake-ninja\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\testCCompiler.c : fatal error C1083: Cannot open compiler generated file: 'CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj': No such file or directory^M^M
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.^M

determining if the C compiler works failed with the following output:
Change Dir: C:/Users/hoffman/Work/My Builds/cmake-ninja/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:C:/Users/hoffman/Work/Projects/ninja/ninja.exe cmTryCompileExec [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj^M FAILED: "C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe" /nologo /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /Zm1000 /D_DEBUG /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /GZ /FoCMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj /FdTARGET_PDB -c testCCompiler.c^M cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'GZ' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release^M^M
cl : Command line warning D9036 : use 'RTC1' instead of 'GZ'^M^M
testCCompiler.c^M^M
C:\Users\hoffman\Work\My Builds\cmake-ninja\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\testCCompiler.c : fatal error C1083: Cannot open compiler generated file: 'CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj': No such file or directory^M^M
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.^M

So, the dashboard would be pretty boring at this point with a total failure... :)

-Bill