On 3/6/2012 12:17 PM, Peter Collingbourne wrote:

The Ninja generator is disabled on Windows as it still doesn't yet
work correctly with Ninja's master branch.  It works to some degree
with someone else's branch, but one of the required features on that
branch (response file support) was recently merged into Ninja master,
so hopefully someone on Windows will be able to add the necessary
support to CMake soon.  I would hold off on setting up a dashboard
for Windows until we can at least build CMake with Ninja master.

I am a bit confused. What are the features on someone else's branch that the CMake generator needs?

What will it take to get this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cmakescript/files/cmake-2.8.7.20120202-Ninja.exe

into the CMake source tree?

I would be OK, with a non-standard ninja as long as those patches are eventually going to be in ninja. I don't like having ninja windows cmake support outside of the main cmake dev tree. Could we do this:

1. integrate cmake windows ninja support into next
2. run a dashboard that uses a given ninja binary?

My goal would be to make sure cmake windows ninja keeps building and working and other ninja work does not break the existing cmake windows support.

I have been asking Windows developers to enable the generator locally
for their own development by commenting out the IF(NOT WIN32) block.
Perhaps once we set up Windows dashboards it would be better to
introduce an internal variable (CMAKE_USE_NINJA?) which can be used
to enable this generator on Windows, and have the dashboards use it.

I would rather have it on by default and print some warning if it finds the "wrong" ninja, one that does not have the required patches.

-Bill