So, I did a git branch switch to next and ran ninja on my build tree. It correctly re-ran cmake. But I found a link error building cmake-gui:

CMakeLib.lib(cmLocalVisualStudio10Generator.cxx.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator::GetTargetObjectFileDirectories(class cmTarget *,class std::vector<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,class std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > > &)" (?GetTargetObjectFileDirectories@cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator@@UAEXPAVcmTarget@@AAV?$vector@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@@std@@@Z)
bin\cmake-gui.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
LINK Pass 1 failed. with 2

I did a ninja -t clean, and then ninja and everything worked. So, it looks like some of the object files did not rebuild correctly after the branch switch. Same source tree worked with a gmake build tree, so there were no odd file time things going on.

-Bill