RE: The arch test, et.al. You should file a bug against CMake if a test is
failing only because the compiler does/does not produce the same results as a
compiler supplied by Apple. CMake tests should reflect the capabilities of the
compiler under test and not the capabilities of some other compiler that might
be used on the platform.

Where such a difference affects the end user, CMake should provide a mechanism
to distinguish between two such compilers.  That does not imply that there
needs to be a single construct which makes the distinction, simply that there
is some combination of CMake instructions which does so.

Richard