On 11/30/2012 02:46 PM, Brad King wrote:
> On 11/30/2012 01:59 PM, Brad King wrote:
>> Perhaps the simplest solution is to add a new generator expression
>> such as $<CONFIG_DEBUG> that evaluates to 1 or 0 depending on
>> whether the configuration is considered a debug config.
>
> Another detail.  The cmTargetCheckLINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES check
> should be performed for the INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES property.
> We must ensure that the "debug" and "optimized" keywords never
> have any meaning outside arguments to tll().

And another.  Here is new documentation I've written based on this
discussion.  Please update the topic to implement the tll() behavior
with respect to the policy and LINK_PUBLIC.

    this->DefinePolicy(
    CMP0019, "CMP0019",
    "Use INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES instead of LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES.",
    "A CMake shared library target (or an executable with the "
    "ENABLE_EXPORTS property) may be given a \"link interface\" "
    "determining the libraries that must be linked by its dependents.  "
    "CMake 2.8.10 and lower used the LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES and "
    "LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES_<CONFIG> target properties "
    "to determine the link interface.  "
    "CMake 2.8.11 and higher prefer the single "
    "INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES target property "
    "to determine the link interface.  "
    "The new property supports generator expressions "
    "to specify configuration-specific link libraries."
    "\n"
    "This policy is not considered when loading IMPORTED targets.  "
    "However, it does affect how the export() and install(EXPORT) "
    "commands generate imported targets for use in dependent projects.  "
    "\n"
    "The OLD behavior for this policy is to ignore the new "
    "INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES property and use the old "
    "LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES(_<CONFIG>) properties to determine the "
    "link interface.  "
    "Targets named after LINK_PUBLIC in target_link_libraries will "
    "populate the old properties and not the new.  "
    "The export() and install(EXPORT) commands will generate only the "
    "IMPORTED_LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES(_<CONFIG>) properties on a "
    "target to be imported into other projects, and not "
    "INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES.  "
    "\n"
    "The NEW behavior for this policy is to ignore the old "
    "LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES(_<CONFIG>) properties and use the new "
    "INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES property to determine the link interface.  "
    "Targets named after LINK_PUBLIC in target_link_libraries will "
    "populate the new property and not the old.  "
    "The export() and install(EXPORT) commands will generate the new "
    "INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES property on a target to be imported "
    "into other projects.  "
    "They will generate IMPORTED_LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES(_<CONFIG>) "
    "properties only if LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES(_<CONFIG>) have been "
    "set explicitly on the target to be exported."
    "\n"
    "The setting for this policy used to determine the link interface is "
    "that in effect when the target is created by an add_library or "
    "add_executable command.",
    2,8,11,0, cmPolicies::WARN);