On 2013-06-28 08:40, Brad King wrote:
What about the APPEND mode of export?  Do you plan to try to
collect all the appended pieces together, all delayed until
generate time?

That would be great if you could! One of my big gripes with export() is how much less elegant it is generating a build-time targets.cmake than at install time. If the calls to export() could be collected and parsed once (preferably without duplicating the boilerplate for every call) that would be a welcome improvement.

Perhaps the policy could also disallow the
APPEND mode altogether.  IIRC I've participated in discussion
in the past about how APPEND is a bad approach anyway.

Maybe I am unclear how export() is supposed to be used, but I have always used it as a trio of add_library()/export()/install() (often in a helper function), per library. That seems quite a bit more convenient than collecting a list of all targets in the project for one-time export(). Would this make the latter approach the only possible way to use export()? (That would probably break quite a few projects :-(.)

To me it would make much more sense if export() was more like install(EXPORT), where one declares at the point of the add_library() the desire to export a target, which adds to a list the CMake keeps track of internally in order to generate an export file later.

--
Matthew